Friday, November 21, 2008

Pink Floyd - The Great Gig in the Sky (1988)

The Floyd is, hands down, the best concert that I have been fortunate enough to have ever attended... music, the sound of the soul.
After having attended The Division Bell tour, all I can say is that it was indescribable. Whenever I ran into other people who had also seen the concert, the response was always, invariably, the same, "it was awesome" ... then, silence, while staring into one another's eyes, trying to find more words, when there simply were no others to describe the experience. Just... awesome.
I was touched by the fact that there was no generational barrier... music, to stir the heartbeat... lyrics, to stir the mind. There was my generation, my father's generation, as well as my son's generation... all come together.
While watching a bit, recently, on the making of The Dark Side of The Moon, it was shared how Clare Torry (the first one up) came to be on, here. She was told, simply, to think of pain, desperation, loneliness (can't remember all the descriptive words, you get the point)... and this was the result. The best part, when she came out of the recording room, she apologized for what she thought had been a big fuck up... while everyone else had been in awe and dumbfounded.
Perhaps this is the sound of our universal consciousness, in response to the sad state of this world.
This past September, Richard Wright, who was one of the co-founders, as well as keyboardist, lyricists, and vocalist, passed on to that great gig in the sky. I think that things will never be the same.
I truly believe that music is one of those universal connectors, that ties to the heart strings of humanity... further, to the universe... and that music can change things, for all time.
Pink Floyd has certainly been that, for me. Music, for all time.

1 comment:

Oilsforfun said...

Absolutely
Music is the most powerful language.
It can activate the DNA and blood streams
It is a Universal Language but for the ones that know its chords
You've awakened some of my memories...
Great ones as well