Tuesday, October 6, 2009

ART ?


I've been wondering lately about what exactly, or generally, to consider the definition of "ART".

I am leaving the question open and collecting opinions, including my own, in an effort to coagulate thought and suggestion into a workable definition.

Oddly enough,since I have begun thinking about this, I have noticed references to this question in the media that I am usually exposed to. Pops up in newspaper, magazine, and even cartoon jottings. It's uncanny but probably just that I am noticing these coincidences when I normally wouldn't see them.
But to consider presentations of painting, metalwork, photography, mixed media,sculpture,printmaking, wood, ceramics, fiber, digital renderings, and glass; not to mention music, theater, dance, and building construction -- we must consider the possibility for each to be an exhibit of artistic value either to us alone or to us all in general.

The above art by Camille Rose Garcia from Subterranean Death Clash series ,2006

Let it roll around in your head for awhile and please let me know anything that collects in the corners,

4 comments:

Oberon said...

...art is the proper task of life...friedrich nietzsche.

brinni for humanity said...

Art is any nonessential expression of one's culture, vision, society, and/or passion. Mostly passion . . . and nonessential meaning the building of a standard public restroom for practical purposes only does not count, whereas the construction of an architecturally inventive government building does count. I think. I'm interested to see this feedback as well.

goatman said...

brinni, I agree about the architecture. I guess it is in the eye of the architect as to what he wanted to express. Or did he just want a functional building with no regard to passion.
I like "nonessential" as a definition but wonder if the artist who, as one comment put it, "has to express in order to breathe" may consider his rendering especially essential.

Oberon, thanks for the food for thought . . .

brad4d said...

In art the heart is
ahead of the head.

..a revelatory expression of
a supportive nature that balances..
human tendency for logical criticism..