Saturday, September 4, 2010

Age of Inception

From the moment the movie “Inception” was released, polls have shown it’s appeal is split along generational lines. Many “older” moviegoers hate the film while younger people have nothing but good things to say about it. According to Henry Jenkins, a professor of cinema at USC, this has everything to do with video game experience. He says “Inception is first and foremost a movie about worlds and levels, which is very much the way video games are structured.” While I agree that gaming experience may be a factor, I’d say a bigger reason is that members of prior generations don’t understand, or accept the film’s premise. As DiCaprio’s character describes it, conscious experience is not a literal transcript of the world, but an ongoing process of virtual construction by the mind. Although this premise has scientific merit, it is not widely known or embraced by the majority of tradition-bound Americans.

Kerry: this is what I meant by a cohort effect when trying to understand differences of opinion. I'll post Dr Henry Jenkins reply next. It’s way brilliant..!

2 comments:

Eduardo Cantoral said...

Bill,
since I am almost 61, I am an anomaly.

Good work

Bill Robertson said...

I take it you liked the movie ..

..you are definitely in the lower percentile of your cohort group.

Congratulations ..!