Friday, September 26, 2014

Ubuntu


According to Michael Onyebuchi Eze, the core of ubuntu can best be summarized as follows:

"A person is a person through other people" strikes an affirmation of one’s humanity through recognition of an "other" in his or her uniqueness and difference.

It is a demand for a creative intersubjective formation in which the "other" becomes a mirror (but only a mirror) for my subjectivity.

This idealism suggests to us that humanity is not embedded in my person solely as an individual; my humanity is co-substantively bestowed upon the other and me.

Humanity is a quality we owe to each other. We create each other and need to sustain this otherness creation.

And if we belong to each other, we participate in our creations: we are because you are, and since you are, definitely I am.

The "I am" is not a rigid subject, but a dynamic self-constitution dependent on this otherness creation of relation and distance".

(ubuntu philosophy) (nelson mandela) (paradise or oblivion)

No comments: